Sartén Gourmet de 30,5 cm (12 pulg.)
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
This easy to prepare meal is inspired by Caprese salad using fresh mozzarella cheese, ripe tomato and fresh basil. Seasonal, local tomatoes taste best in this dish when the flavors are at their peak.
sweet onions, strung, use Cone #2
ripe Roma tomatoes, medium dice
milk or water
fresh ground pepper
fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
fresh mozzarella cheese, cut in 1⁄4-inch slices
- Using the food processor, process onions directly into skillet. Place skillet on stove and turn heat to medium. Sauté onions for 4 - 6 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, toss to combine with onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, oregano and basil until eggs are foamy and frothy.
- Pour egg mixture over sautéed vegetables in skillet.
- As eggs begin to set, lift edges with a turner letting uncooked portion flow underneath. Cook until eggs are completely set, approximately 12 - 15 minutes.
- Place sliced mozzarella over top of frittata in a pretty pattern. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow to sit for 5 - 7 minutes, until mozzarella is softened and warm.
- Serve frittata warm or at room temperature.
- Substitute fresh basil for 1 tablespoon of prepared pesto.
- Garnish frittata with a balsamic glaze. Place ½ cup aged balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup in 1 Qt. (.9L) Sauce Pan. Turn heat to medium, stir to combine and reduce mixture until it is syrupy and thick. Drizzle a little bit of balsamic glaze over each serving of frittata.