Lentils are a good source of plant based protein and high in soluble fiber which help to stabilize blood sugar levels. Lentils are also low on the glycemic index. This recipe combines lentils with chicken, but feel free to eliminate chicken for a vegan entrée. Top with a Greek style Tzatziki dressing made with fat free yoghurt for a tart and full flavor dressing.
- Place lentils in colander and wash thoroughly.
- Put rinsed lentils in saucepan, cover lentils with water and add bay leaves. Bring lentil to a boil, turn heat down to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. (Test lentils for doneness by carefully taking out a spoonful, letting them cool for a few minutes and tasting. They should be soft, yet still firm to bite).
- Drain lentils, rinse and place in mixing bowl.
- Add chicken breast, scallions, cucumber, radish, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne to lentils. Toss all of the ingredients together to combine.
- In a small bowl combine greek yoghurt, lemon juice, salt, dill, garlic powder and cucumber and stir to combine.
- To serve, place 4-6 romaine lettuce leaves on individual serving plate, fill each leave with some of lentil- chicken salad. Drizzle a tablespoon of yoghurt dressing on top of salad and lettuce leaves or serve a small dish of yogurt dressing on the side.
- Substitute dill for fresh mint
- Add chopped fresh tomato to lentil-chicken salad mixture